State of Global Air 2020: Report
September 21, 2021
The 2020 State of Global Air report is out. This is a special report on the global exposure to air pollution and its health impacts. You will find the report as well as an interactive website that provides a comprehensive analysis of the levels and trends in air quality across the globe. This report is produced annually by the Health Effects Institute and Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation’s (IHME’s) Global Burden of Disease (GBD) project. They are a global source of objective, high-quality data on the worlds air quality.
What’s New This Year?
Every year, the project incorporates the latest scientific evidence and methods to refine estimates of the burden of disease — from air pollution and other risk factors. These are the primary updates for 2019:
- Inclusion of air pollution’s effects on adverse birth outcomes.
- Improvements to PM2.5 exposure estimates.
- Exclusion of smoking studies from particulate matter exposure– response functions.
- Revisions to exposure–response relationships.
- Improvements to estimates of exposure to household air pollution.
- Improvements to ozone exposure estimates.